Building the Cloister
In 1341, the work on the chapter house and on the gallery of the cloister alongside it had progressed to such an extent that a general meeting of the Order could be held there.
The building of the three other galleries of the great cloister (321m2) began in 1396. The cloister was made up of 176 twin marble columns, topped with sculpted capitals.
At the end of the 14th century, the east wing housed the sacristy, the chapel of Our Lady of Pity and the chapter house (today this space houses the Gothic sculpture rooms).
The south wing of the cloister (on the site of today's garden on rue de Metz), housed the school, the apothecary and the barber's. The west wing included a large refectory, the kitchen, the wood store and the cellar.
The fire of Toulouse in 1463 seriously damaged the roofs of certain buildings. It slowed building work which did not start again until 1495.