FRANCO, Giovanni di
Œuvre récupérée par les Alliés en 1945. MNR 850.
The Hunt is attributed to the Florentine painter Giovanni di Francesco who painted it for the ducal palace of Urbino. Its rather odd format is due to its function as spalliera, the back of a bench. The painter brings together two hunting scenes, one noble, the other for commoners, around a bridge. The city depicted is Florence, recognisable from its main monuments. With its lush vegetation and its spectacular sunset, the style is more International Gothic than Renaissance. Originally a deposit from the Louvre, the work was recovered from Germany at the end of the Second World War.