Temple of the Arts
In order to allow more light to fall on the works exhibited in the church, the stained glass in the high windows and in the rose window was destroyed.
In 1831, a very ambitious programme of works began, when the town council commissioned the architecte Urbain Vitry to transform the church into a Temple of the Arts. At this point, the church took on the aspect of a Neoclassical style gallery. The paving was destroyed, the side chapels closed off. A barrel vault was suspended from the Gothic vault to hide the religious nature of the building under a stucco decor.
At this time, certain medieval structures, which were no doubt in bad condition, were used as fill material!