Skip to top

The convent

A Precarious Balance

Vue ancienne du petit cloître du musée des Augustins - Photo Archives musée des Augustins
© Vue ancienne du petit cloître du musée des Augustins - Photo Archives musée des Augustins

Despite an obvious decline in the convent during the 16th century, many works were undertaken. At the beginning of the 17th century, a large dormitory with a calefactoria and meditation room was built above the sacristy.

That was followed by the construction of the upper galleries, above the other cloister aisles (which have since been demolished). The renowned library of the Augustines was established above the chapel of Ecce Homo, built in 1626 (south wing), next to a small dormitory.
In 1626, the construction of the late Renaissance style small cloister was completed.
However, from 1680, there remained only around thirty monks living at the convent.
Almost two hundred hermits lived, prayed and worked at the Augustines Convent in the 14th century. From then on, the number of monks gradually decreased until there remained only a few men by the time of the Revolution.
 


Skip to top
Skip to top