Dame Tholose, an allegory of the city of Toulouse and symbol of its pride, is an exceptional example of bronze sculpture belonging to the French Renaissance.
In 1544, she was commissioned from the sculptor Jean Rancy by the Capitouls (governors of Toulouse). Rancy carved the wooden model. The cast, carried out in 1550 by Claude Pelhot, a canon manufacturer, shows remarkable technical skill for the time. The sculpture was destined to adorn the top of the tower of the archives of the town hall (now the tourist information building), to serve as a weather vane.
Dismantled in 1827, she was then transformed to represent Victory as a homage to the military successes of General Dupuy during the Napoleonic campaigns. She was placed on the column in Place Dupuy in 1834. Somewhat weatherbeaten, she was taken down in 2005 for restoration and conservation in the museum. A copy has since replaced her at the top of the column in Place Dupuy.