The convent was recognised as an Asset of the Nation by decree on 2nd November 1789. The great refectory was sold to citizen Verdier who turned it into... stables!
In order to allow more light to fall on the works exhibited in the church, the stained glass in the high windows and in the rose window was destroyed.
En 1868, la ville de Toulouse acheta le réfectoire gothique des Augustins. Au lieu de le céder au musée, elle préféra le détruire.
It wasn't until 1941 that genuine restoration work was undertaken in the exhibition halls. The gothic halls were restored. It was then that the Chapel of Saint Gabriel was restored to its original site (Nostre Dame de Grasse is exhibited there).